What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping Sensor always shows 0 milliseconds

Votes:

I have a single probe system that is pinging 3 remote offices. If I ping from the probe's OS, the delay is averaging 40msec. Why would the ping sensor in PRTG constantly show 0msec for all pings going to these sites?

ping ping-sensor sensor

Created on Nov 8, 2013 3:29:18 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, could you please upload a few screenshot showing us these discrepancies?

best regards.

Created on Nov 11, 2013 12:48:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Screenshot of response time discrepency

The screenshot shows the 0msec response time that PRTG is reporting for google.com on the left side and a ping to the same on the right displaying 6-8msec response time.

Created on Nov 11, 2013 2:25:17 PM

Last change on Nov 11, 2013 3:25:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

With Ping sensors PRTG actually does not measure the response time itself. It uses the Windows API and then uses the returned value from the Windows API call. That should have the same precision as the ping from commandline. Do you get any other/higher response times on any other Ping sensors? What are the exact settings for this Ping sensor?

Created on Nov 12, 2013 10:07:34 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I receive the same 0 msec response time for all of the ping sensors.

Sensor Name : google.com Timeout : 5 Packet Size : 32 Ping Count : 10 Ping Delay : 5

Created on Nov 12, 2013 2:40:24 PM

Votes:

These settings are absolutely fine. We honestly can't really explain this, you should of course see other response times than 0 there on different ping sensors. Is this a virtual machine running PRTG here?

Created on Nov 13, 2013 10:25:24 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is a virtual machine on VMWare ESXi 5.1 I will be reinstalling PRTG on this system and seeing if something was corrupted during the original install.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 2:47:41 PM

Votes:

Could you possibly also try a Remote Probe on a physical machine please? And then run some Ping Sensors underneath this Remote Probe.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 3:00:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I uninstalled and reinstalled PRTG. Even after deleting the PRTG related program files sub-folder, all settings from the previous install were intact after the reinstall. I did perform a reboot between uninstalling and reinstalling.

I have installed the remote probe on my laptop and have created the ping sensors under this probe. I briefly got realistic ping times in the output, but all ping sensors have since returned to 0 msec.

Is there a way to completely eradicate all settings for PRTG after uninstalling through the windows GUI?

Created on Nov 13, 2013 3:26:21 PM

Votes:

You could stop the PRTG Services, and then clear the PRTG Data Folder. Upon restarting the PRTG Core Service, a new empty default configuration will be added again.

Created on Nov 14, 2013 12:55:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you confirm that you are pinging from the local probe and not the remote probe? if the ping sensor is on a device under the remote probe, then it's likely that the ping test is between the remote probe and the remote device, i.e. well below 1ms (which should then show 0ms). By duplicating the check to the probe and not the sensor, you may have more chance of getting what you want. Also check out the QoS sensor to measure health between probes (see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/24053-can-a-remote-probe-ping-other-devices#reply-71763).

Thomas

Created on Jul 11, 2014 6:15:45 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.