What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DHCP Pool Monitor

Votes:

I am trying to monitor how many IPs we are currently using and how many we have remaining (percentage or integer). I am following these instructions: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/11433-how-to-monitor-windows-dhcp-scope-release However, I tried importing the DHCP MIBs form out DHCP server, then added the sensors through the SNMP Library. I am able to add them and they show green, which is correct for now, but they always return a value between 0 and 1. This isn't very useful to me, since I can't see how close we are to using all of our IP addresses. I had tried the method in the address above, before importing the MIBs, but it wouldn't work at all and just returned an SNMP error no such name. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan

dhcp dhcp-pool ip-address snmp

Created on Nov 12, 2013 3:58:15 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. The MIB in the linked article seems to be a Microsoft specific MIB. Is this a Windows Server here, serving as DHCP Server (as well)?

best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 2:57:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I figured it out. I had to changed the OID type from delta to gauge. The sensors then started returning the exact number of IP addresses in use and free.

Created on Nov 14, 2013 6:31:55 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.