What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

converting local probe to remote probe

Votes:

Hello,

I have a server with a local installation of PRTG with local probe configuration. I would like to pass it to a central server management with multiple remote probes. Is it possible?

Thanks, Yaron

core local-probe remote-probe

Created on Nov 13, 2013 10:10:25 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid that's not exactly possible like that. A probe itself has no configuration, it gets told what to monitor by the core server. So in essence, if you want to install PRTG on a different machine, you would have to copy the existing configuration from the current machine to the new one. Then, uninstall PRTG from the old machine, and install a remote probe there. And then, once PRTG is running, connect the remote probe and move the groups & devices from the Local Probe to it.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 10:33:22 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

How can I copy the existing configuration & settings of dozens of devices & sensors ?

Created on Nov 13, 2013 10:44:37 AM

Votes:

Thank you, but my main objective was to transfer the control of the local probe to the primary server and not intalling more prtg sevrers.

Thanks

Created on Nov 13, 2013 12:22:16 PM

Votes:

You can move objects from the local probe to a newly defined remote probe, but it isn't possible to convert a local probe to a remote probe. Sorry.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 12:52:02 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Probably i have missed something in the "How can I move (migrate) my PRTG installation to another computer?" guide. How can i move only objects from the local probe to a newly defined remote probe (and not the whole prtg installation)?

Thanks

Created on Nov 13, 2013 12:58:38 PM

Votes:

You don't need to migrate your installation per se. Just add a remote probe, have it connect to the (current) core server, then move the desired objects from the local to the remote probe using the objects' context-sensitive (right-click on the object) menu.

Created on Nov 13, 2013 2:07:56 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

The problem is that they are supposed to be on the same server. I'll find a way, thank you very much.

yaron

Created on Nov 14, 2013 8:04:31 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.