What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding a sensor on the Cluster Probe

Votes:

There doesn't seem to be the option to add a sensor to the "Cluster Probe Device" in PRTG. I want to add a sensor to both probes that are running the cluster. I can see the "Cluster Probe Device" and the "Probe Device" of the master node, but I can't find a way to add a sensor to the secondary node.

cluster probe sensor

Created on Nov 19, 2013 1:22:31 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you cannot add a sensor directly to the Cluster Probe Device. Under the Cluster Probe please just create a new device and add the sensor there.
Best regards

Created on Nov 19, 2013 6:18:19 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The sensors I want to add can only be added to a probe. For example syslog, DHCP, QOS.

I can add them to the master probe, because it is listed under the root, but the secondary probe is not. How can I run these sensors?

Thanks

Created on Nov 19, 2013 9:30:51 PM

Votes:

Some sensors cannot be added in a cluster as these are requiring a fixed physical Interface to work. As this is not given in a Cluster as the interfaces can change when the cluster is switching from master to failover these sensors cannot be used in a cluster.
You will have to add these to either a local or a remote probe.
Best regards

Created on Nov 20, 2013 2:20:35 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So have added it to the probe that is running on the cluster master. But how do I get the probe on the other cluster server to show up in the device tree? With it not htere how can I add a sensor to it?

Thanks

Created on Nov 21, 2013 6:30:34 PM

Votes:

On the cluster master you have two probes, the local probe and the cluster probe.

any device or sensor you add to the cluster probe will be monitored from both nodes of the cluster.

There is no extra probe for the fail over node in the device tree.

The cluster probe equals the probe on the failover node. There are no extra steps needed to deploy devices or sensors to the probe of the failover.

This is automatically done when adding sensors or devices to the cluster probe.

Created on Nov 22, 2013 9:57:34 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.