What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New core server, old remote probe

Votes:

I'm setting up a new core server. I would need to move an existing remote probe to this new core server. How may I move the remote probe to the new core server, and also migrate the historical data of that remote probe to the new core server?

core-server installation migration

Created on Nov 19, 2013 3:40:30 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hello,

yes, that would be possible

please take a look at

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/413-how-can-i-move-migrate-my-prtg-installation-to-another-computer

copy the configuration file,

and the monitoring database folder (if you want to keep the historic data)

then you can keep the devices and sensors on the remote probe and delete the rest.

Created on Nov 20, 2013 10:30:53 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

hello,

you need to update the remote probe to the same version as the new server is, then you need to edit the configuration of the remote probe so that it does connect to the new server.

all data and configuration is stored on the core server. The remote probe holds no data at all.

If you want to keep the data of the remote probe you need to copy the configuration from the old server to the new one.

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/413-how-can-i-move-migrate-my-prtg-installation-to-another-computer

Created on Nov 19, 2013 5:28:38 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Aurelio,

Thanks for the link. We are still retaining the existing core server.

Just installing a new one to handle another segment. In such a case, would we be able to export and import the data from the existing core server to the new server for sensors on that particular existing remote probe?

Created on Nov 19, 2013 11:54:40 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hello,

yes, that would be possible

please take a look at

copy the configuration file,

and the monitoring database folder (if you want to keep the historic data)

then you can keep the devices and sensors on the remote probe and delete the rest.

Created on Nov 20, 2013 10:30:53 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the tip! We will try it right away!

Created on Nov 21, 2013 6:01:49 AM

Votes:

Which is a safer migration step?

A1. Install new core server. A2. edit remote probe to new core server. A3. stop both existing and new core server, copy configuration and data A4. start both existing and new core server. (any complications with the overwritten data for the sensors on the remote probe that was migrated?) as there is new data, and historical data for the same probe?

B1. Install new core server. B2. stop both existing and new core server, copy configuration and data B3. start both existing and new core server. B4. edit the remote probe to the new core server. (would the remote probe be recognised by the new core or be added as another new remote probe with no link to the previous data?

Created on Nov 22, 2013 2:58:17 AM

Votes:

use option B.

the new probe will appear as a new probe. You can then move your devices and sensors to the new probe.

The probe never stores any data! All data and configuration is always on the core server.

Created on Nov 22, 2013 6:43:39 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.