What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can we please have IPv6 support for DNS and NTP sensors?

Votes:

Hi,

Learned today that DNS and NTP sensors do not support IPv6. It would be great to have IPv6 support for these sensors.

dns ipv6 ntp prtg

Created on Nov 19, 2013 11:06:04 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The DNS sensor supports IPv6 requests to monitor DNS servers which are only reachable via an IPv6 address as of PRTG version 14.x.12 (currently available in the Preview release channel).

Created on Jul 29, 2014 3:45:30 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, what exactly are you missing on the DNS-Sensor in terms of IPv6 capabilities? http://abload.de/img/prtgnetworkmonitortlsnmj5i.png
For the NTP - Sensors, currently there are no plans to implement IPv6 support for it, but I will put this on the wishlist.

best regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2013 2:08:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, the DNS sensor can query for AAAA records, but only over IPv4. It cannot send any queries over IPv6. If I try adding a DNS sensor to an IPv6 device, I get "IPv6 not supported by this sensor (code: PE113)". The same goes for NTP.

It's a pity to hear that no IPv6 support is planned. I'd consider both DNS and NTP some of the core Internet protocols. Both are essential for supporting IPv6-only clients. If I am to provide these services over IPv6, I need to be able to monitor them.

Thanks.

Created on Nov 20, 2013 6:40:07 PM

Votes:

Alex, you are right of course, I will put both sensors for IPv6 Support on the wish list. Please bear with us.

Created on Nov 21, 2013 9:38:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The DNS sensor supports IPv6 requests to monitor DNS servers which are only reachable via an IPv6 address as of PRTG version 14.x.12 (currently available in the Preview release channel).

Created on Jul 29, 2014 3:45:30 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.