What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Sensor intermittently not working

Votes:

I have noticed that once a week or even once a day all of the sensors lose connection on my primary domain controller. After about an hour it comes back on and everything is ok.

All the errors say that the connection Timed out or that there was no response.

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2.

The error is as follows:

"WMI: Connection could not be established (Port Error : RPC Server not accessible. - Host: lacpdc.lake.org, User: admin, Password: **, Domain: ntlmdomain:lake.org) (code: PE015) -- PerfCounter: Unable to connect to the specified computer, or the computer is offline. (Performance Counter error 0x800007D0)"

What causes this?

sensor windows-server-2008 wmi

Created on Nov 20, 2013 11:19:41 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

This error means that TCP port 135 of the target machine is unreachable. All WMI sensors do a simple TCP scan on this port prior to opening the connection. If it fails, WMI isn't able to communicate with the target. Please try using the IP address as host setting for the device.

Please also have a look at our knowledge base article about WMI:

What are the most common errors when monitoring wmi

Created on Nov 22, 2013 3:40:53 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

That makes sense, but why is it intermediate.

Created on Nov 22, 2013 6:23:12 PM

Votes:

The port error, itself, is actually independant of the WMI component (simple TCP port scan). We guess the reason for this is that there are issues with the DNS. However, we were never really able to discern why this is the case. Sorry.

Created on Nov 26, 2013 1:29:21 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

The port error, itself, is actually independant of the WMI component (simple TCP port scan). We guess the reason for this is that there are issues with the DNS. However, we were never really able to discern why this is the case. Sorry.

Is really not an answer

Created on Feb 26, 2015 9:10:15 PM

Votes:

I suggest you try changing the device IP address from a number to the FQDN name of the server.

Created on Mar 30, 2016 2:50:02 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.