What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Public Map Rotation

Votes:

I love having the option to have public maps and love having the map rotation feature. However it would be really helpful for a NOC screen to be able to use both of these together. What I mean is there a way for a public user to view map rotation of public maps?

The computer that show the screen doesn't have a user normally at it. So there is no one to log into PRTG.

map map-rotation public-maps

Created on Nov 21, 2013 6:52:29 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jeff,

thank you very much for this KB-Post. This should be possible, by building the URL in the following way:

https://my_prtg/public/mapshow.htm?ids=123:secretstring,456:secretstring

Where 123, and 456 are the object ids of the maps. and 'secretstring' is the secret string (map key in previous versions of PRTG) for each of the maps.
With adding

&interval=30

to the URL you can set the interval between the rotations (of the maps) in seconds.

best regards.

Created on Nov 22, 2013 3:07:49 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 19, 2014 10:39:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi all,

is it still valid that way? I tried: https://prtgserver/mapshow.htm?ids=16317:7E09244E-3D3E-437C-ADA2-4CF605E55456,16399:8F48FE18-B854-4D29-92D3-99333EF40A7B

But I get an error: Map Refresh Failed Error message: Sorry, there is no object with the specified id.

I already double checked ID and secret string..

Thank you! Michael

Created on Dec 12, 2018 9:46:19 AM

Last change on Dec 12, 2018 9:46:19 AM

Votes:

Hi Michael,

yes this should still work. Just to check, you are running this against the /public/ - part?

Do the Maps work each its own?

best regards. Torsten

Created on Dec 12, 2018 3:00:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Michael,

For our NOC - what we did is using this script:

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79668-prtg-maps-auto-cycle

We even put a few easter eggs in the rotation - like little animated GIFs etc... - but that really depends on your work environment.

The nice thing about that script is that you can control how long each map is shown and you can pull from multiple PRTG systems - or actually any URL you want.

Further is it more compliant with the corporation cause it can show a company logo and fade it out while the content is loaded in the background.

@Support - sorry for advertising this :-) but I like it way more then the PRTG internal function - and not just because I wrote it in the first place..

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 12, 2018 3:11:01 PM

Last change on Dec 13, 2018 9:15:56 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Florian,

Nothing to be sorry for, we appreciate your input, as always :)

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 13, 2018 9:17:40 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.