What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe notifications

Votes:

I have installed a remote probe in our office in Cleveland OH. I need to know when the Cleveland office looses connection to the main office in Doylestown PA because there is a problem with the router. I created a device on the remote probe with the ip address of our router in our main office. Currently it shows green. If the network connection goes down in the main office the device on the remote probe should go red. If i set up a notification on the remote probe that runs a vb script when that device goes down, where does the notification come from? If it comes from the core server in our main office, and the network is down, the notification will never be sent. If in fact the notification comes from the remote probe, the vb script will send out its message using the internet connection at the remote office and we will get notified that the main office is down. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help. Marc Lambert 2153402563

notifications prtg remote-probe

Created on Nov 21, 2013 9:42:46 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the notification is only done from the core server. The remote probes can not send out notifications.

The remote probe has no intelligence of that kind, sorry.

Created on Nov 22, 2013 7:36:40 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.