What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I set prtg to start a service multiple times before failing?

Votes:

Currently my installation is configured to monitor the uptime of a WMI service. If the service is stopped it is configured to start it.

I've noticed prtg starts the service if it isn't when it notices that it is down. If it manages to poll it again to see that it's up before the service stops, it will restart it without a problem.

If the service stops, after prtg started it; prtg doesn't see that the service was running, it will not attempt to start it again. It will fall back on the notification settings configured and will send an email to the admins, etc.

Is there a way to configure the number of successive starts it attempts before signaling an error?

prtg sensor service start windows wmi

Created on Nov 22, 2013 1:17:43 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The best way to work around this would be to write another script that restarts the service and then use that for a notification.

You could have the batch script set up with a notification that executes a program then set up a state trigger that would continue to retry the service while the sensor is down.

Notification Triggers

Notifications

Created on Nov 25, 2013 3:26:26 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Unfortunately this isn't possible with this sensor. Once PRTG sees that the service is down it will only try and restart it once since most services that will not start the first time will not start on the second attempt.

Created on Nov 25, 2013 12:51:37 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the quick reply, Greg!

Are there any work-arounds that I can try using PRTG?

Created on Nov 25, 2013 12:56:28 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The best way to work around this would be to write another script that restarts the service and then use that for a notification.

You could have the batch script set up with a notification that executes a program then set up a state trigger that would continue to retry the service while the sensor is down.

Notification Triggers

Notifications

Created on Nov 25, 2013 3:26:26 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.