What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to apply custom sensors to multiple devices

Votes:

Hello everyone,

We are testing prtg for our campus network. We have some same devices.

I created a cumstom sensor for one devices, with custom oid, and it works fine.

But how can I apply this sensor to all the other devices?

I tried to create a device template from device one, and re-autodiscovery all the devices in my group, but it doesn't work: the custom sensor didn't appear in the other devices.

So how can I do my job?

Thanks a lot

sensor snmp snmp-custom-sensor

Created on Nov 25, 2013 1:23:00 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

What kind of OID are you trying to use for the custom sensor? The way that these work in the device templates is that PRTG will scan the device for that OID and then see if there is a value there. If there is none, the sensor will not be created so if this is an OID with a unique index number then this will not work with other devices. You can test to see if the other device has the OID with the SNMP Tester.

Another way you may want to try using this template is by using the clone device option. These can only be done one at a time but it would be faster than building all the devices separately. If the sensor does not work when cloning then the OID cannot be found for the custom sensor and you would need to build this sensor on the other device.

Created on Nov 25, 2013 4:08:18 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Greg,

All of my devices can use this custom snmp oid sensor. Now I found clone a sensor to the other device can work, but I can clone only one device each time. Although I can select all of my device by pressing shift key, but when I click next, only one devices can be cloned.

Created on Nov 26, 2013 1:11:03 AM

Votes:

That's the downside of the cloning feature is that only one can be created at one time. Can you send me a log from the SNMP tester from one of the devices that should be working with this custom sensor along with your device template? I want to try and test out the auto-discovery and see if there may be a bug not allowing it create these sensors. You can send this to [email protected] and reference this KB article.

Created on Nov 26, 2013 10:31:39 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.