What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

is it posible to mass rename device IDs ?

Votes:

I have auto discovered a whole load of devices. they all come back with names similar to : "RYA_Bristol_Base_1_1941.yourdomain.com (10.44.13.142) [Cisco IOS Cisco Device] "

Is it possible to access the back end DB of PRTG to enable me rename these en-masse. I want to remove the "[Cisco IOS Cisco Device]" from them all, and also the ".yourdomain.com" from them all. so the name would just be in the format : "RYA_Bristol_Base_1_1941 (10.44.13.142) "

There are lots of other devices already setup with different names as well so I dont wnat to change their names as well. a Selective "Search and Replace" within deviceID.name field (or whatever it is called)

I could do it manually but it will take me days !

change device name

Created on Nov 29, 2013 9:01:09 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

I'm afraid this isn't possible via multi-edit. The only option would be to open the "PRTG Configuration.DAT" file with a text editor and search and replace the entries in case.

Created on Nov 29, 2013 10:14:59 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.