What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring files within folders on date modified

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to monitor with prtg two different files in two different locations. And set a trigger on date modified. Is this possible?

Thanks R.

date file prtg

Created on Dec 1, 2013 9:56:42 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you might use the File Sensor for this purpose and then set limits on channel Last modified.
Best regards

Created on Dec 2, 2013 6:01:02 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks,

Is it also possible to compare the last modified date on both files en set a trigger when difference is 15 seconds or more?

Thanks R.

Created on Dec 2, 2013 8:30:35 AM

Votes:

This would basically be possible using the Sensor Factory Sensor but as the scans of the both sensors will most likely not happen at exactly the same time Factory Sensor might give you incorrect results. Apart from the Sensor Factory Sensor the only way would be writing an own script which checks the file ages and does the comparison. The script then could be run with the EXE/Script Advanced Sensor.

Created on Dec 3, 2013 7:08:25 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you very much. What if I set the trigger to 15 minutes. Is it possible to create two different sensors. The first one monitors the files at location a the second one monitors the files at location b I then create a factory sensor with compares both sensors on date modified. What'll the status definition be?

Thanks, R

Created on Dec 3, 2013 10:57:01 AM

Votes:

When you are monitoring for the newest file in the folder, you do not even need a trigger on source sensors. You might define a down condition like the following:

(Newest File Channel Sensor 1) + (Newest File Channel Sensor 2) > DESIRED VALUE 

This should create an error in the Sensor Factory Sensor as soon as the sum of the source channels gets bigger than the value provided.
As an alternative you might work with channel limits on the source sensors and set the Factory Sensor to error if one or more of the source channels is in error state.

Created on Dec 3, 2013 1:41:25 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'll give it a try.

Thank you

R.

Created on Dec 4, 2013 9:17:59 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.