What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What is the best way to setup notifications for specific type of sensors

Votes:

I am working on setting up alert notifications out of PRTG and wanted to be able to setup a notification for specific sensor types. I read a posting about creating libraries but this didn't seem to be an easy method. I am wanting to get an alert notification setup for all servers if they are offline. Was going to base the alert on the WMI Uptime sensor type unless there is a better sensor to use. Trying to avoid having to setup the same notification on about 125 servers.

notifications prtg sensors

Created on Dec 4, 2013 1:57:55 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

There is no general answer to your question. However, _usually_ you would use the Ping sensor to check whether or not a system is offline, as this sensor type uses only few system resources and the auto-discovery usually creates this sensor type by default.

In order to create a Library showing all ping sensors of your monitoring configuration, simply add the entire Probe to your library (using drag and drop in the Management tab). Then, switch to the Notifications tab and add a notification State Trigger that will initiate a notification whenever one of the Ping sensors in your library shows a red error state.

Created on Dec 4, 2013 2:32:02 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

When doing this and setting up the library I have added my entire server tree by drag and drop into the library. However this add alls sensors. When I setup the notification for a sensor being down it is sending alerts on any sensor that is down.

Created on Dec 4, 2013 4:12:57 PM

Votes:

Sorry, I forgot the filter step: Right-click on the library node that is created after adding the sensor tree. From the context-menu, select Edit | Settings. In the following dialog, you can set the library node to show Ping sensors only.

Created on Dec 5, 2013 8:06:21 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.