What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My VMware host sensor can’t find data. What can I do?

Votes:

Suddenly, when monitoring the hardware of an ESX server, the corresponding sensor does not receive data anymore. PRTG shows a ‘Warning’ status for this sensor with the message ‘162 elements not found’ or similar. I did not change anything in the configuration or settings, neither in PRTG nor in VMware.

What can I do? Is there a checklist for a workaround?

error-messages esx prtg snmp soap vcenter vmware vsphere warning wbem

Created on Dec 4, 2013 2:54:04 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later

Checklist: “Not Found” Sensor Warnings when Monitoring ESX Host Server Hardware

Occasionally, sensors in PRTG show a warning status with the message “X elements not found” (or with another number) when monitoring ESX host server hardware. Though, the sensor worked correctly previously. This issue might appear when monitoring with the VMware Host Hardware Status sensor via SOAP, as well as it can be the case when monitoring the server via WBEM or SNMP.

The warning message in PRTG indicates a not properly functioning CIM (Common Information Model) server on the ESX host. The monitoring result for the ESX server will be ‘unknown’ for all hardware devices in this case.

Possible Solutions

In order to get the CIM server working properly again and, thus, receive data with the affected sensor, please consider the following steps. They are ordered from ‘simple solution’ to ‘hard solution’, so try them step by step and check after each one if the corresponding sensor recieves the expected values again.

• Try to restart the CIM server over the vSphere client.
  • If the ‘soft’ restart via the vSphere client does not work, enforce a stop of CIM and restart the server over an SSH console. Use the following commands for this purpose: /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog stop /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog start If necessary, try these commands more than once. The ‘stop’ command might fail because of a timeout and is still running when you try to start again. Note: sfcbd means small footprint cim broker daemon.
  • Sometimes, the ‘hard’ restart does not resolve the problem either. In this case, rebooting in maintenance mode often works. While in maintenance mode, all VMware services will be restarted:
    • Migrate all virtual machines from the affected host to other hosts.
    • Set the affected host into maintenance mode.
    • Reboot the affected host.
    • Revert the affected host from maintenance mode to normal.

Sometimes, the maintenance mode is sufficient to resolve the error without any other steps. In some cases, the host itself sends data again after a these steps, but in order to receive data via vCenter, an additional restart of vCenter is necessary.

Created on Dec 4, 2013 3:01:37 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 6, 2013 3:23:08 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, after running: /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog stop (or start or restart) i get this message: -sh: sfcbd-watchdog: not found even thou i see the service in the init.d folder.

I´ve restart the CIM-Server from the services of the affected Server but i still don´t get the Hardware status.

Created on Jan 29, 2016 11:51:25 AM

Votes:

Daniel, while this may actually a question better directed at VMware, did you use root-privileges? Some things like this can only be done with root permissions.

Created on Feb 3, 2016 1:14:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.