What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Exe Script PE087 Not Working (even the demo ones)

Votes:

Hi

We've made a script to transform the snmp response OCTETSTRING to an interger so PRTG.

It used to work when we had PRTG V8 , now we've upgraded to PRTG V9 and this script doesn't work anymore.

So I tried to put one of the demo scripts and even than aren't working.

We're seeing the following error in the sensor

External EXE/Script did not return a response (code: PE087)

When I run my script (and the demo ones) in the prompt i get a positive answer:

312321:ok

Is there a way to convert OCTET-STRING directly in PRTG 9?

How can we fix this script problem?

exe prtg9 script snmp

Created on Dec 5, 2013 8:47:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you can run the script manually from command line (cmd), and it does not run properly in PRTG, please check the Windows Service Management Console (services.msc) on the PRTG Host. There then check the Properties of the Probe Service, for the "Log On"-Account: http://abload.de/img/probeservicespagy.png

Created on Dec 11, 2013 10:11:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. In current versions of PRTG you can set the SNMP Custom String to use regular expressions to "extract" a number from a string. You could try that.
Otherwise, the PRTG Services changed from PRTG 8 to 9, and were re-registered in the Windows Service Management Console. Maybe you had the Probe Service running under a different account (than 'LOCAL SYSTEM') before with PRTG 8.

best regards.

Created on Dec 6, 2013 3:03:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for you reply.

Sorry i wasn't clear. The OID that I'm polling must be a delta value. Is there a way to convert the octet string to int and make a delta after that?

In the PRTG i could find the LOCALSYSTEM account configured. But in my server when I type *mmc* there is nothing there. I'm guessing that everything is ok there since we don't have other accounts configured.

How can I troubleshoot that?

Thanks

Created on Dec 9, 2013 12:57:55 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you can run the script manually from command line (cmd), and it does not run properly in PRTG, please check the Windows Service Management Console (services.msc) on the PRTG Host. There then check the Properties of the Probe Service, for the "Log On"-Account: http://abload.de/img/probeservicespagy.png

Created on Dec 11, 2013 10:11:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your response.

After i did what you've told me the scripts started working.

Once again Thanks

Created on Dec 11, 2013 5:57:06 PM

Votes:

Can I change this without pausing or losing my PRTG monitoring?

I have the same problem, but I can't stop PRTG now.

Created on Apr 23, 2018 1:43:15 PM

Votes:

Changing the "Log On"-Account of the Probe Service will definitely require a restart of the Probe Service and thus means a short downtime.

Created on Apr 23, 2018 2:17:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.