What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG functions

Votes:

Hi,

I am wondering if is it at all possible to create a "root cause" type sensor.

Currently I have created multiple sensors which work well but if network goes down I get alarm notifications that the sensors are down but its no the case as the error is network related.

What I now am after is a function that monitors our network and the current sensors at the same time. E.g. If our network goes down, I would like for it to alarm and send notification for network only ignoring the other sensors as they will be in error state due to network issue.

If the network is fine then I would like a sensor error notification to be sent out to administrators as per current settings.

Can you please advise if this is possible as look forward to implementing asap.

Kind regards,

Archie

more-sensors prtg-functionality prtg-network-monitor

Created on Dec 6, 2013 12:15:42 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Wouldn't you be able to cover these points by using dependencies, as such pausing sensors that are dependant on the others and, as such, would not trigger alerts or notifications?

Created on Dec 6, 2013 3:09:24 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.