What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HP Switch snmp config and PRTG

Votes:

We are currently working on a Test environmant for a big client and want to know on how we can get the HP Switches configured, so that we can use PRTG for it? I saw a couple of postings already but none of them are working for us. I guess our problem lies in the Switches itself not necessarily on PRTG! HP switches are 2530 - 8G and 24G / I tried enabling snmp version 1,2 and 3 without success. Any ideas?

hp hp-switch prtg snmp switch

Created on Dec 8, 2013 9:54:58 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
could you please download the SNMP Tester and check if you are getting a response from the switches at all? Just try scanning for Uptime and Available Standard Interfaces. What are the results?

Created on Dec 10, 2013 6:55:29 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I downloaded snmp tester but I figured, that after disable/enable the HP snmp function 5 times, it suddenly worked! weird one...also we are using 6 HP switches where as 5 are working just fine but one is not gettiong it. Even after re-enableing snmp several times, rebooting a.s.o - anyway, I may figure it out later.

We are currently using a xenserver Pool using HighAvailability software called "Marathon everRun" - We have all Libraries and trying to get those snmp traps working as well. Saying that, we have actually all the OID's in that library and they seem to work - somehow! When adding the sensor "snmp custom using OID" we receive results like Status up and a value e.g. 6# - when running that axact OID in the snmp tester I receive the Host IP with it's IP address (which by the way I want to see) - so what can be done to show the IP instead of the 6# ? Or what would be the correct template?

Created on Dec 12, 2013 1:52:43 AM

Votes:

Hi,
may you provide some screenshots illustrating the issue? Are you trying to receive SNMP Traps or do you want to perform SNMP GET requests (as the SNMP Sensors are doing)?

Created on Dec 12, 2013 6:28:15 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, we have moved the Pre-Configured System into the Clients premises. Therefore, I cannot provide the details as yet but will do asap! We're trying to receive SNMP Traps and their current status. e.g. Network Link down/up as well as getting SNMP informations like the hostname or IP address (but this one is not important - the Network Link up/down are the ones we are looking at); Will send you some screenshots later one...

Created on Dec 15, 2013 11:13:49 PM

Votes:

To get information on network links being up/down you might just use SNMP Traffic Sensors. To receive SNMP Traps you might want to know that there are limitations of the Trap Receiver at the moment. Please note that we are also working on a new Trap Receiver Sensor which is available in the Preview Release Channel.
Best regards

Created on Dec 16, 2013 7:09:16 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.