What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can we use #host as placeholder?

Votes:

I would like to use #host (as I used in PRTG Traffic Grapher) with PRTG Network Monitor . i.e "Device name" = "My router at #host" and "Service URL" = "http://#host"

Is there a way to do this or something similar? Would save alot of typing.

Regards

host placeholders prtg

Created on Dec 11, 2013 1:46:28 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

you can use the placeholder %host (note the percentage sign) for the IP address or DNS name of the device that triggered an event.

For a list of all available placeholders, please see this article.

Created on Dec 11, 2013 1:55:33 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi. I've seen that for events but as I tried to describe I'd like to add it to device names and service urls. Do you mean that I can use "My router (%host)" as name for a device and host will be replaced by host-IP?

Created on Dec 11, 2013 2:26:18 PM

Votes:

Sorry, I thought you talk about notifications.

If you run an auto-discovery, names for devices and service URLs will be created automatically. Thus, you will not need any placeholders. Create an auto-discovery group and specify the settings suitable to your needs. In section Name Resolution, you can define whether to monitor newly discovered devices via their DNS, WMI, or SNMP names or via IP address which will then appear automatically as "device name".

See PRTG Manual: Auto-Discovery for details.

Created on Dec 11, 2013 2:45:00 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.