What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Forcing the use of 64bit snmp counters

Votes:

Hi,

we want use the SNMP traffic sensors to measure the traffic on Gig and 10Gig interfaces of our Cisco 4500 switches. Although the devices in prtg are configured with:

• Use 64-bit counters if available (recommended)
  • snmp verstion: v2c the created sensors are always 32-bit counter sensors.

The only way so far to get the 64counters is to turn of snmp v1 off the Cisco switches. Then the created sensors are of the 64bit type.

Is there another way so I can solve this in prtg and not on the switches?

Thanks! Wim.

64bit prtg snmp

Created on Dec 13, 2013 8:36:45 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

If you are turning the snmp v1 off in the switch you get 64bit snmp traffic sensors and both traffic in and traffic out are working?

There is a fallback mechanism if only part of the 64bit works to use the 32bit counters instead.

if you turn on the v1 again, keep the then existing 64bit counter sensors working? If not the v1 switch somehow changes the 64bit counters.

Created on Dec 13, 2013 12:58:38 PM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Jens,

thanks for your reply. If I turn on the v1 back on the cisco switch after the all snmp sensors in PRTG are created, the 64-bit sensors keep working correctly. All interfaces now have a 64 bit-sensor. But I would prefer not to have change the switch config in order to get it working. regards, Wim.

Created on Dec 13, 2013 2:40:03 PM

Votes:

Jens, forgot to answer your first question: yes, turning snmp v1 off on the switch enbles me to create the 64-snmp sensors in PRTG that monitor both in and out packets on each interface. regards, Wim.

Created on Dec 13, 2013 3:05:41 PM

Votes:

In that case, please run a "Scan Interfaces" test against the device in case via our SNMP Tester, once using SNMP v1 and once using SNMP v2c, and forward us the results to [email protected]. Please mention this thread for reference.

Created on Dec 16, 2013 1:23:40 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.