What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I have the code PE121

Votes:

Hi, I have the message "Timeout caused by wait for mutex. Consider distributing your VMware sensors across several probes! PE121"

I read the topic "30643-how-can-i-increase-the-connection-limit-on-vmware-systems-pe121" but i don't have a Vcenter. I just have a ESXi 5.1 with 175 VM and PRTG 13. I'm not find the value "Perf.Stats.MaxCollectionThreads" in Vsphere client.

Can you help me ?

Thanks Anthony

pe121 prtg vmware

Created on Jan 12, 2014 6:45:37 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Anthony,

you are right, these setting is not available on the hosts itself.
Which version of PRTG are you using? In 13.4.7.3531 we introduced new, higher performing VMWare SOAP-Sensors. If you are using an older version of PRTG please update to the latest stable version.

Did you check the .Net-Update mentioned in the topic?
Which scaninterval are you using?

Kind regards

Dieter

Created on Jan 14, 2014 8:53:06 AM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 14, 2014 8:53:46 AM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi!

I have this problem since last night on a customer's PRTG server. Version 16.4.27.6720+ on a Windows 2012 R2 Server with .NET 4.5 installed - so I think the .Net-update won't be applicable ... I set the Perf.Stats.MaxCollectionThreads to 16 although I think that this won't help, as we monitor the ESX-Host directly.

Since several hours 2 out of 14 sensors get the same error "Timeout caused by wait for mutex. Consider distributing your VMware sensors across several probes! See https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/30643 for more information. (code: PE121)": the "VMware Datastore (SOAP)" sensor -> prim. channel: "Free Space (%)" and the "VMware Host Performance (SOAP)" -> prim. channel: "CPU usage (%)". First we forgot to change the "default" scanning interval of 60 seconds, but with a new interval of 5 minutes nothing changes ... Any other ideas or suggestions or should I open up a support case?

Thanks, Clemens

Created on Nov 11, 2016 3:11:32 PM

Votes:

The sensors were paused the whole weekend and today I resumed both - after several minutes just "no data" ...

So I cloned the first sensor and ... cool ... it was green immediatly ... with the second one the same ... interesting! ;)

Created on Nov 14, 2016 9:13:02 AM

Votes:

Hello Clemens,

unfortunately, we currently do not have a distinct answer/explanation for this.

If the issue re-occurs, please open a support ticket including the probe state files. Please perform the following procedure on your Core Server which will generate additional logs:

• Within PRTG head to Setup > Administrative Tools and select "Write Probe Status Files".
  • Please repeat step 1) 3 times with a 30 seconds interval
  • To upload the Probe State files and the PRTG system logs to our FTP server, use the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the Tab "Logs and Infos" in the "PRTG Administration Tool". Please enter the Ticket-ID (PAE782247) into the related text-field.

Kind regards, Sven

Created on Nov 14, 2016 12:07:16 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello Sven,

thank you for your answer.

I'll do so, if the problem occurs again!

Kind regards, Clemens

Created on Nov 14, 2016 1:41:30 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.