What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring quotas on Exchange 2010 user mailboxes

Votes:

Hi.

I need to monitor user mailboxes located on an Exchange 2010 server so that we from our Helpdesk catch when they are nearing their storage quota.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done with the PRTG monitor and if "yes" then what type of sensor can help me out?

Thanks Thomas

exchange mailbox quota

Created on Jan 15, 2014 9:44:42 AM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Monitoring the quotas directly is not possible in the moment, I'm afraid. However, a workaround is possible, by setting Warning/Error-Limits accordingly on the "Total Item Size"-Channel of the the Exchange Mailbox (Powershell) Sensor to receive alarms when certain sizes are exceeded. http://abload.de/img/exchangemailbox6nu6g.png

best regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2014 2:32:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 15, 2014 2:33:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your fast reply.

As I understand that would only work appropriately if all users have the same quota set. Am I correct in this assumption?

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:02:00 PM

Votes:

Not really I'm afraid, you could simply set different limits on different sensors.

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:12:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So I would have to create a sensor for each different quota I've set on mailboxes?

And then specifically assign the sensor to each mailbox?

Or...?

Sorry but I'm not very well versed in PRTG monitor. I'm the Exchange administrator of our Company and not part of the usual "monitoring staff" so I have to be walked through this ;)

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:18:18 PM

Votes:

It would be necessary to create one sensor per mailbox.

Created on Jan 15, 2014 3:21:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply.

I think that'll be too much management for us as we would have to create a lot of sensors and maintain those when the customers buy more space or there are staff changes at our customers.

Could you please pass our needs on to the developement team so perhaps it will be integrated in a new version at some point.

Thanks for your time Best Thomas

Created on Jan 16, 2014 7:28:39 AM

Votes:

I will put this on the wishlist! Thank you!

Created on Jan 16, 2014 9:57:57 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.