What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG - Specific Time of Day Handling

Votes:

Hi

I have set a schedule for a specific time, e.g. 5am as our backups run at 1am and finish around 2 am.

I am after a one off check each day that the file has had a TLM change.

>> Scanning Interval - I have set this to 24 hours but is this academic as to what it is as the schedule only has 5am ticked ?

>> For the trigger under "for at least" i have added 1 (for one second), what should i be adding here when you are just after the one value ?

>> I find there is a delay on the notification email of 1 hr between the checking time and the email, does anyone know what this is about ?

Many thanks

email-delay fixed-time prtg

Created on Jan 17, 2014 11:51:37 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, what exact sensor type are we talking about here? What does the sensor do in case of a successful / failed scan? In which case do you want a notifications? Can you also please send us a screenshot showing the trigger definition?

best regards.

Created on Jan 20, 2014 1:37:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

See https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/59759-prtg-combining-triggers It is the standard file sensor, e.g. exists, time last modified.

regards

Created on Jan 20, 2014 9:29:17 PM

Votes:

>> Scanning Interval - I have set this to 24 hours but is this academic as to what it is as the schedule only has 5am ticked ?

I'm afraid in that combination, there is no guarantee that the sensor would scan in the one-hour window from 5-6am.

>> For the trigger under "for at least" i have added 1 (for one second), what should i be adding here when you are just after the one value ?

0 Seconds. With "at least 1 second" it might require a second scan, which is not done with the above settings.

>> I find there is a delay on the notification email of 1 hr between the checking time and the email, does anyone know what this is about ?

Please provide screenshots for this.

Created on Jan 21, 2014 10:19:20 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/59759-prtg-combining-triggers has the screenshot references. I have now found the person who registered the product and created a support ticket, PAE384103, i will post back info so others can benefit once this task is resolved.

Thanks

Created on Jan 22, 2014 1:24:06 AM

Votes:

I would highly recommend to pause the sensor only when the backups run, so 12-4am. And then leave it running with a 5 or 10 minute scanning interval the rest of the day. This will mean more scans, yes, but also a better understanding of what is going on. And a guarantee of scans, which is not guaranteed with a schedule of 1 hour activity and a scanning interval of 24 hours.

Created on Jan 22, 2014 9:17:09 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Since my last reply and picture at http://sdrv.ms/1eY8CgD

I changed the scan to be 5 minutes and the 1s of time in the rule to 0 seconds Can be seen in the Word document at http://sdrv.ms/1dNv9ji

No change in behaviour.

Also it is not clear to me how the pause is done you are thinking of, e.g. a completely ticked schedule with the 12 to 4am unticked or via some other mechanism?

I am not a PRTG expert yet so

Created on Jan 22, 2014 9:45:57 AM

Votes:

For the Threshold Trigger the sensor needs a value below the Threshold again (after each scan above the Thresold), otherwise the Trigger might be activated once, and then never again.

Created on Jan 22, 2014 4:18:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.