What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Packet (I/O) and IPS monitoring on checkpoint R75

Votes:

Hello all,

I'm trying to install some sensors in order to monitor the dropped and rejected packets (in/out) to all interfaces ETHx (x=1-14) of my appliance checkpoint r75 GAIA . I'm using the MIB found on my appliance, but once imported I see a lot of entries with the following name: fw if: 4/fw drop pckts out - fw if: 4/fw drop pckts in The number"4" changes and I don't know what it means. At the beginning I thought that it was the number of each Ethernet interface but it's not the case (I compare with the log of my appliance). So my first question is: how can I monitor the IN/OUT packets for each interface (for the record, I can monitor the total dropped-rejected packets globally, but I'm unaware about the interface and the flow direction)?

Second question: Is it possible to monitor my IPS alerts? I' tried almost all the values of the MIB but...without result.

Thank you in advance. Michael

ips packet-drop packet-reject

Created on Jan 24, 2014 3:51:10 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Did you look into the Additional Channels on SNMP Traffic Sensors already? They might provide similar results.
If not, I'm afraid the best would be to consult with Checkpoint, they should be able to provide the best answers if and then how certain performance metrics can be obtained (and also what the numbers may mean, if it's not the interface number).

best regards.

Created on Jan 27, 2014 10:33:11 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Torsten,

thank you for answering so quickly. Unfortunately the options listed in SNMP TS is not that I need. I've already tested all these options but without a reliable result. I'm waiting now the Checkpoint's support to answer me.

For the record, I don't have this problem with other appliances (Arkoon, UTM sophos) that I could collect the IPS alerts by activating the SYSLOG(!)

thanks again

Created on Jan 28, 2014 8:12:54 AM

Votes:

I have a similar need. I was wondering if Checkpoint was able to answer your question or not. I am looking for the MIB/OID to pick up the RX and TX ring buffer packet drops.

Created on Jun 10, 2014 2:55:19 PM

Votes:

i found it. OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.13

Created on Jun 10, 2014 3:29:03 PM

Votes:

Michael, can you tell me if you coud configure PRTG to monitor the IPS blade?

Created on Apr 22, 2015 8:50:58 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I am trying to monitor with PRTG the number of packet dropped per second. I know that the OID is the following :

.1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.1.1.25.9.0 and the output is a sting. I created then a custom string sensor to use the IOD. However the output is weird : I get a numerical number too high to be exact.

How did you manage to do it ?

Thanks

Created on Jan 18, 2018 11:21:50 AM

Votes:

Hello tarekidres

The number obtained by this OID(fwDroppedBytesTotalRate) is since last reboot of your device, so I think that it is normal. You can verify that by looking in the NIC's statistics.

thx Mik

Created on Jan 18, 2018 3:52:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.