What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I provide a VIEW only interface for specific sensors for an individual user?

Votes:

I only want the bandwidth sensors listed for those specific sub-interfaces. Just those ten individual sensors should appear.

I have setup a user and want this user to be able to view specific sensors (view only) U: TECPRTG

I read this: ( https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/57443-user-access-to-specific-sensors ) "You can create separate groups for those customers then put those users into those groups and at the root level, give them no access. Then you can go to the specific sensors you want them to see and change their group's permissions to allow them to see specific sensors only. Make sure to make the user groups and users read only though so they can't change anything to allow them access."

>> I do not see where to edit permissions on the GROUP to make the group Read only.<< >> or the user level either for that matter << >> I did see how to set permissions on the objects (Device in the tree) just not the actual GROUP in administration or USER in ADMINISTRATION (SETUP link) I saw that you can set it READ ONLY there in the GROUP>DEVICE>SENSOR tree view with the SETTINGS tab

Where do I grant permissions to specific sensors to my VIEW ONLY user that I have named TECPRTG Should I not have a tab on the SETUP>USER page to grant access to specific objects?

Is there a utility that would make granting access easier so that you can run a wizard then check boxes on the items you want to include then set THAT USER THAT GROUP THAT DEVICE to have access to the desired items?

bandwidth read-only sensors users

Created on Jan 24, 2014 5:35:08 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later

Giving a single user or user group access to only a few devices or sensors

In a user group's settings, you can first turn off Administrative rights then you are able to set if that group is Read/Write or Read Only. This setting is specific to being able to edit the PRTG configuration.

User Group Rights

Larger Size

Again, the only way to limit the user to seeing specific sensors would be to go to the Access Rights section of the Root group settings and set up the group with that user in it to have no rights. That way all of the other groups, devices and sensors will inherit this setting and that user will not see any of the other devices or sensors. Here you can also set all of the other devices to inherit these rights if needed.

Root Group Settings

Larger Size

Once you have done those two things, you will need to go to the sensor or group that you want them to see and then change the settings for that group to have read/write or read access. You will not see the group in these settings if they have administrative access since they would then be able to set this back themselves with those rights.

Sensor Access Right Settings

Larger Size

For an overview about access rights, please refer to PRTG Manual: User Access Rights

Created on Jan 27, 2014 10:35:10 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 27, 2014 1:28:06 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.