What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unable to activate SNMP on Mac OSX devices

Votes:

Hi,

Probe is a windows machine but I having trouble getting CPU and RAM monitoring to work the MAC OSX machines.

I followed this to try and enable SNMP: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/41843-how-do-i-activate-snmp-on-mac-os-in-order-to-monitor-it-with-prtg

Step 1: I have made a copy of the file - done!

Step 2: I have typed into terminal 'sudo nano /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf' and entered my password - done!

From here I am lost, do I edit something in terminal? If so how? Or can I edit the snmpd.config in text edit? If so where and what do I change?

I searched for 'rocommunity' but again in text edit It says but I have no idea where to edit:

"rwuser admin

1. rocommunity: a SNMPv1/SNMPv2c read-only access community name
  2. arguments: community [default|hostname|network/bits] [oid]
  1. We limit unauthenticated requesters to the system contact info rocommunity public default .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4
  1. rwcommunity: a SNMPv1/SNMPv2c read-write access community name
  2. arguments: community [default|hostname|network/bits] [oid]
  1. rwcommunity private"

Please someone can you help a bit of a newbie here!

Thanks

cpu mac ram snmp

Created on Jan 26, 2014 3:36:37 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

So the command

sudo nano /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

actually is opening the file in a text-editor, that's what Nano is. What the guide is more or less saying is to copy the text from below and copy in it place of what is currently in your config file.

#Allow read-access with the following SNMP Community String:
rocommunity public

# all other settings are optional but recommended.

# Location of the device
syslocation data centre A

# Human Contact for the device
syscontact SysAdmin

# System Name of the device
sysName SystemName

# the system OID for this device. This is optional but recommended,
# to identify this as a MAC OS system.
sysobjectid 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.16

Once you are done pasting the text in that file, you should then restart the service as mentioned in the article and add the SNMP service to the hostconfig file so that it starts each time the computer starts.

Created on Jan 27, 2014 3:08:13 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. Very clear. I updated everything via nano apart from the sysobjectid as I wasn't sure what to replace.

I've refresh the network monitor and now on CPU Load for the mac machine the original 'connection error' has gone and it now has this error 'End of MIB view (SNMP error # 224)'

Could you help with that?

Thanks so much.

Created on Jan 27, 2014 4:00:06 PM

Votes:

and on SSH Meminfo I get: "Socket error on connecting. WSAGetLastError return 10061($274D) No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

Created on Jan 27, 2014 4:01:36 PM

Votes:

If you try and do an uptime scan or an interfaces scan with the SNMP Tester do you get any results? You may want to check that port 161 is open through the firewall so that PRTG can query the device since that may be why the machine is refusing the connection. If you still are not getting anything from the SNMP tester then please let me what version of OS X you are running and I'll see if there are updated directions on getting SNMP working.

Created on Jan 28, 2014 2:43:24 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.