What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom temperature sensor monitoring

Votes:

I'm trying to monitor/graph the Servercheck temperature sensors and am facing several problems. I've imported the MIB, but when I try to use the SNMP Library sensor, it fails, stating that it can't reach the IP (which it can as other checks are hitting it just fine).

If I use a Custom SNMP sensor, the value comes back as a string. What do I need to do to get it to display as a graph and alert or change status when a certain temperature is reached?

prtg snmp temperature

Created on Jan 29, 2014 8:54:15 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

If you run a "Custom OID" test using the OID in case via our SNMP Tester, what results do you get?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:01:51 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I am able to enter a custom OID and get a string value back, which I've then changed to float and it does start to graph. Why does the SNMP Library sensor type not work though and how would i go about getting it to show warning at a certain temperature level and fail at another temperature level?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:13:11 PM

Votes:

In order to check on that, please run a "Scan OIDLIB" test via the SNMP Tester, using the OIDLIB in case. You can then either post the results here or forward us the same to [email protected]. If you do the latter, please also forward us the OIDLIB and refer to this thread.

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:18:45 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I will certainly give that a shot. Does it require that I run it on the remote probe machine or on the PRTG server? Does it require that I somehow install MIBS on the remote probes as well?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:22:23 PM

Votes:

Please run the Tester on the machine running the probe from which you want to monitor the device in case. Beyond the Tester you shouldn't need to install / apply anything else.

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:26:06 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I completed the OIDLIB scan from the probe machine and it enumerated the values just great. How do we apply that to the SNMP Library plugin?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:45:04 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid in that case we will need to have a look at the results and the OIDLIB in case. Could you please forward us the Scan OIDLIB results, as well as the OIDLIB to [email protected] and refer to this thread?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 3:53:40 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Actually, I think we're getting closer! I figured out that after a firmware update to one of the sensor devices, I'm now able to use the SNMP Library Sensor to get a list of possible values to return. On devices running the older firmware, they won't complete a OIDLIB scan. I'll work on updating them later. That said, when I use the SNMP Library sensor, it gives me a list, but when I add the sensors, everything shows up as ms. I'd like it to somehow show the name of the sensor and then the temperature value. How do I get it to do that?

Created on Jan 30, 2014 5:36:38 PM

Votes:

That should be defined within the OIDLIB. Open the same with the MIB Importer and check the settings of the affected OIDs. Als, please check the channel settings of the sensors - and compare with what results from the OIDs in the OIDLIB scan. If they do match what you expect, we would require the OIDLIB scan and the OIDLIB file for analysis.

Created on Jan 30, 2014 7:10:03 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.