What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Notifcation API

Votes:

I saw another post that I was unable to reply to, so please forgive the duplication here.

We have a need to be able to dynamically provide an email address for a notification, otherwise we will need to manage 170 additional notifications. I thought I'd be able to use the API to update the email address from a notfication but it seems like its not working. I'm trying to update the address_1 property of a PRTG Notification using the setobjectproperty api call. It would be an enormous task on our end to have to create a google email address and then manipulate its forwarding through a Google API driven appplication as opposed to just updating the notification in PRTG. Has there been any headway into adding this capability since last year? Also, are there any other solutions available to being able to complete the above task without have to use a separate mail service? I'd really prefer to stick within the confines of PRTG for this task please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

api email notifications

Created on Feb 7, 2014 7:21:54 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

As of right now there is no way to do this through the API still. How are you trying to populate the field for the notification recipient? Maybe we can think of another way of doing this.

Created on Feb 10, 2014 1:18:45 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here's the situation:

There are going to be 170 new devices, each one at a different location with a different manager that needs to be notified if i.e. the device is down.

Here's what we're trying to accomplish:

Recipient of notification should be generated dynamically based on the device name. For example:

Device1 down = notification to Core Team + Device1 manager

Device2 down = notification to Core Team + Device2 manager

Device3 down = notification to Core Team + Device3 manager

Without being able to create such a dynamic notification, we'd have to create 170 notifications, one for each device.

Any suggestion on how to accomplish this (powershell with auxiliary list to parse?) is certainly appreciated.

Created on Feb 20, 2014 7:50:47 PM

Last change on Feb 24, 2014 8:46:05 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After going back and forth about this, unfortunately this isn't possible in any way that we can think of. We would have to build a parameter that would be able to pass an "owner" of a device along to the notifications and we don't have either of those functionalities built in and the notifications cannot be changed or altered through the API either so that's not a possibility. I'll ask about this in the next dev meeting and let you know.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 12:30:13 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.