What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Proxy Problems

Votes:

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use PRTG specifically to monitor websites.

We use a Smoothwall gateway, with NTLM authentication. I would prefer that the PRTG traffic routes through this to give a realistic view of website speed.

PRTG is showing a lot of downtime for websites, which is not accurate. When I check the Smoothwall it's saying that PRTG is trying to use the gateway at port 810. WPAD is setup on the system, but it isn't clear whteher PRTG is trying to use that or not. In any event I have manually configured PRTG to use the proxy, with a suitable NTLM account, and yet it's behaving the same (a mix of traffic trying to go to 810, with 307 and 401 errors).

Is PRTG capable of going through an NTLM authenticated gateway and/or using WPAD?

Why is it trying to use port 810?

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

proxy smoothwall wpad

Created on Feb 7, 2014 9:32:39 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid the HTTP-Sensors may only support basic authentication for Proxies. Could you please try a HTTP Advanced Sensor though, running in Compatibility Mode (can be configured in the Settings of the sensor)?

best regards.

Created on Feb 10, 2014 1:32:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did manage to fix this, but I think it involved changing the engine to Internet Explorer.

Created on Mar 21, 2014 2:31:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.