What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Message from new SNMP Trap sensor

Votes:

I have a question about new SNMP Trap sensor. Is it possible to configure notification this way, that in the message sent to administrator in case of Warning for example, are trap details included? Not only information, that trap sensor entered warning or error state, but detailed informations displayed in Enterprise or Bindings column in trap messages view?

Best Regards M

notification snmp trap

Created on Feb 14, 2014 1:50:52 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I just spoke with the developers and there is a new placeholder in the preview version that will allow you to send the last messages in an email when these sensors are put into an error status. This should be available with the next stable release.

Created on Feb 17, 2014 1:56:00 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi M,

Unfortunately this is not possible at this time. The information in the trap that caused the error or warning status does not get shown in the last message which would be the only place that this could be shown to transfer into a notification.

Created on Feb 17, 2014 10:13:36 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Thanks for your response. So, please think about enabling such possibility in one of the next releases of PRTG. It would be very helpful, currently it's a little bit hard to use trap sensor as flexible solution to mointor messages from different devices.

Best Regards Marcin

Created on Feb 17, 2014 10:29:23 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I just spoke with the developers and there is a new placeholder in the preview version that will allow you to send the last messages in an email when these sensors are put into an error status. This should be available with the next stable release.

Created on Feb 17, 2014 1:56:00 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good news, thank you very much!

Best Regards Marcin

Created on Feb 18, 2014 8:39:35 AM

Votes:

I'm running PRTG Network Monitor 14.3.10.2422 with SNMP Trap Receiver BETA.

Is that new placeholder available in that version ? Can you describe it ?

Created on Aug 22, 2014 8:19:06 AM

Votes:

You can see all of the placeholders that are available in PRTG in this article. Toward the end you should see %traperrors, %trapmessages and %trapwarnings along with the descriptions of what they will show in the notification.

Created on Aug 22, 2014 9:30:22 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

It seems that the %trapmessages will be implementes in V14.x.12 that is not released yet in the stable channel right ?

It is stated that these placeholders will hold up to the last 20 entries. Can these be addressed as an array if you like to select only the last one ?

I also tried the %host placeholder that should reflect the snmp agent address but i always receive 127.0.0.1 when issuing trap from multiple sources.

This is an exemple of what I get using (%traperrors, %trapmessges and %host) in PRTG V14.13.11.2662:

Trap Errors No messages received: No filter set Trap Messages %trapmessages From Host 127.0.0.1

Created on Aug 25, 2014 8:07:20 AM

Votes:

That's correct, the %trapmessages is currently only in the preview version but should be in the next major stable release.

This placeholder will pull the last 20 messages into an HTML object that will then be used in the email. It will not be possible to define only 1 entry as this is all done on the backend.

The %host variable will show the IP of the host that is hosting the sensor and in this case if you put this sensor on a probe device, that will be the IP. If you wanted the host that is sending the messages to show up, you would need to set up an SNMP trap sensor on that device in the device tree with that sensor.

Created on Aug 25, 2014 2:25:33 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greg, I see that the latest version available is - 14.3.10.2422

Is the SNMP Trap Messages working in this version, or did you mean the next major of 15, or 14.4?

We are currently running 14.2.9 and it is not working for me, but before I do an upgrade I would like to know that it is working.

Created on Oct 14, 2014 4:11:04 PM

Votes:

The placeholder will work once you are on V14.x.12 or later. This new version should be out within the next week or two.

Created on Oct 15, 2014 12:23:10 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.