What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Read-only User "Allow Acknowledge Alarms" not working?

Votes:

I have a few read-only users in PRTG and have configured their accounts with "Allow Acknowledge Alarms" set to "Active". But this does not work, the users cannot acknowledge any alarms.

The only way I could get it to work is to set them as read-write, but I don't want to do that.

These are Active Directory integrated users.

Am I missing something?

Also, could we have the "Allow Acknowledge Alarms" permission at the group level? This way we can create an "acknowledge only" group instead of manually setting the permission on each user account.

Thanks.

acknowledge permissions prtg

Created on Feb 14, 2014 7:29:08 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It can sometimes take 5-10 minutes for the permission changes to take affect so this could have been the issue. Glad that it's working for you now.

Created on Feb 18, 2014 10:16:09 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Which version are you using? I've tested this out here on a few different versions and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Is it that the acknowledge alarm menu option isn't there for those users?

Created on Feb 17, 2014 3:27:52 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We recently upgraded to the latest stable version (14.1.8.1308+). However, this seems to be ok now - came back to it after the weekend and the user accounts are fine.

Is there some sort of delay in getting the permissions enabled on accounts (maybe due to session cookies or similar on the user side)? Perhaps I was not patient enough when making these changes on Friday!

Created on Feb 17, 2014 3:43:37 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

It can sometimes take 5-10 minutes for the permission changes to take affect so this could have been the issue. Glad that it's working for you now.

Created on Feb 18, 2014 10:16:09 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks - actually, I would like to add another observation which might be related... it seems that read-only users can acknowledge alarms from the list view (which shows all sensors in a certain state), but not from the individual sensor page itself - the only option available there is the "email" icon...

Is this by design?

Created on Feb 18, 2014 4:02:28 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the information, I'll look into this and see what I find!

Created on Feb 19, 2014 10:35:59 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I spoke with the developer and he said that this is by design.

Created on Feb 19, 2014 12:05:35 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, thanks.

Created on Feb 19, 2014 12:07:40 PM

Votes:

Just to let you know, we are looking into adding this as a result of the feedback. Thanks for the info and hopefully you will see this in the menu soon!

Created on Feb 19, 2014 12:48:08 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's good news, thanks!

Since we're on this topic, I just noticed what's probably a minor (related) GUI bug that your developers could look into: for a read-only user with "acknowledge alarms" permissions, the drop-down "Acknowledge Alarm(s)" menu gets truncated by the browser.

I suspect this is due to the location of the down arrow being further to the right than when a user has read-write permissions, and everything gets shifted over.

Read-write user, "Acknowledge Alarm(s)" menu: Read-write Users

Read-only user, "Acknowledge Alarm(s)" menu: Read-only Users

The grey bar on the right is my browser's scroll bar. I have tried this in both Chrome and Firefox and the issue is the same in both.

This is not a critical issue as you can still find the appropriate option and click on it, but it does make "aiming" the cursor a bit trickier, since the target area is much smaller and as soon as you go over the browser's scrollbar, it gains focus and the menu disappears.

Thanks again.

Created on Feb 20, 2014 12:39:15 AM

Votes:

Thanks for the info! I've made a bug ticket for this problem. It's users like you that help our software get better each day :)

Created on Feb 20, 2014 1:31:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.