What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI: 80041017: The query was not syntactically valid. -- PerfCounter: The specified object is not fo

Votes:

We have this error several days now and tried all Database entries we could find on this site. The error, or to be more precise, the combination of two errors, are still present. It worked over a year straight and the suddenly went like this. Can someone relate with this error and help us?

error perfmon wmi

Created on Feb 20, 2014 1:28:54 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

What sensor is this error coming from? Most likely this is a problem with the WMI system on the target server and the only way to fix it would be to run through the steps in the articles about repairing WMI that are here in the KB:

Best Regards,
Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 20, 2014 6:15:57 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 30, 2018 11:24:53 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

It is the CPU Load sensor. And only this. All other WMI sensor on that server are running fine.

Created on Feb 21, 2014 9:45:44 AM

Votes:

Have you tried changing the settings in the sensor to use the alternative query?

Created on Feb 21, 2014 10:19:30 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, it was the first thing I tried. It helped us on another error a few weeks back. But unfortunately not this time.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 7:31:56 AM

Votes:

Have you taken a look at the solution in this article as well? It seems that for some running the command lodctr /r worked. Unfortunately this comes from the target system and there isn't an easy solution for fixing the WMI system.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 9:16:46 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, I tried this and it still doesn't work. And I just saw that a bit of the Title is missing. So here is the full error message:

WMI: 80041017: The query was not syntactically valid. -- PerfCounter: The specified object is not found on the system. (Error # 0xC0000BB8)

Created on Feb 24, 2014 1:13:19 PM

Last change on May 30, 2018 11:25:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Other than the solutions in the articles that we have and the solution you just tried, there isn't much more I can say, this is an issue with the server's WMI system and what you've tried already are the best solutions that we know of.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 3:44:19 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I got over those Articles again and found a hotfix from microsoft which it seems I have overseen it before. This was the only thing of them all which worked. The article im reffering to is:

For everyone who has the same Problem, here's the link to the hotfix:

Created on Feb 27, 2014 11:43:39 AM

Last change on May 30, 2018 11:25:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I was having exactly the same problem:

WMI: 80041017: The query was not syntactically valid. -- PerfCounter: The specified object is not found on the system. (Performance Counter error 0xC0000BB8)

Just running the command lodctr /r worked for us. Thanks to Greg Campion [Paessler Support].

Created on Nov 3, 2016 6:59:15 PM

Last change on May 30, 2018 11:26:15 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you. The lodctr /r command solved our problem of the same kind as well.

Created on Feb 4, 2021 12:53:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.