What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Migrating PRTG Remote probe

Votes:

We are in the need to migrate One of our Remote Probes to a Server 2012 R2, we are currently running this remote on Windows 2008 R2. Our Core probe is also running in Windows 2008 R2, we are running version 13.

Is this change in the configuration possible ? and can we retain the historical data and the current settings to migrate to new remote probe server? I found these 2 articles but not sure which one i have to follow: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/1123-how-do-i-move-a-prtg-probe-from-one-pc-to-another

https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/413-how-can-i-move-migrate-my-prtg-installation-to-another-computer

Appreciate the guidance in this matter.

historic-data migration remote-probe

Created on Feb 21, 2014 8:10:37 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

If you want to move the remote probe, you will want to follow the first guide that you found. The second is only for moving a core server to a new computer, the first is specific to the Remote Probe. By copying the GID and reconnecting to the core, you will be able to keep the historical data and configuration since this is held in the config file on the core server and is associated with the remote probe by the GID.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 10:40:43 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 24, 2014 10:41:13 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sounds good, so it really doesn't matter if the computer I will be moving it to is running on a different OS?, Just with following instructions on guide should work?

Created on Feb 24, 2014 2:29:59 PM

Votes:

The OS shouldn't matter since the configuration for the Remote Probe is specific to only the version of PRTG.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 3:52:47 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great, thanks for the help.

Created on Feb 24, 2014 3:54:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.