What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)

Votes:

Hello,

I have a rather starnge issue with one of my physical servers and PRTG. In PRTG, I'm getting SNMP error #2, but the sensors were working fine a couple of days ago.

There has been no change to either PRTG og the server it self. Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this error, so the sensors can show normal again?

I've tried:

• stop/start sensors
  • Pause/unpause sensors
  • stop/start IBM Director services + SNMP service
  • Reconfigured the SNMP service
  • Rebooted the server
  • Tried re-adding the sensors (I can't, because PRTG reports error #2)

Check this screenshot. Please notice that 4 of my hardware sensors are working, but only sensors associated with DISK are not working.

http://i.imgur.com/DzbDunk.png

ibm-system-x prtg sensors snmp-sensor windows-2008-r2-sp1

Created on Feb 26, 2014 12:46:43 PM

Last change on Sep 9, 2016 8:31:15 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

8 Replies

Votes:

If you add the sensors anew, without deleting the existing ones, do the newly added sensors return values?

Created on Feb 26, 2014 12:58:53 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Hello,

thanks for getting back to me.

I tried adding the sensors without deleting the existing ones:

http://i.imgur.com/tTKcBCN.png

I still haven't deleted the existing ones.

Created on Feb 26, 2014 1:36:19 PM

Votes:

Please forward us an email to [email protected], refering to this thread, and I will send you individual troubleshooting guidelines.

Created on Feb 26, 2014 1:59:25 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

i have the same problem, sometimes it works to restart the snmp serivce on the server. than it works some minutes or hours, but it will crashs again and again and again, what was the reason?

Created on Mar 12, 2014 8:13:21 PM

Votes:

Same problem here with the IBM System X Sensors. Is it possible to tell us a general solution?

Created on May 9, 2014 11:40:31 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there simply is no general solution to this. What exact sensors are you referring to? Does re-adding the sensors help?

Created on May 12, 2014 11:07:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Kind of late reply. :)

However, we are still experiencing this error on random servers. We use PRTG for our customers, and each customer has one remote probe installed.

We do have a temporary fix for this issue, but it gets a bit tiring after a while, and our SysAdmins would like a proper fix for this.

The "No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)" error is temporary fixed by either restarting the server (cannot be done 99 out of 100 times) or restarting the IBM Director Services AND the Windows SNMP service.

Some of the other SNMP Errors are temporary fixed by pausing and resuming the actual sensors in PRTG.

Created on Apr 17, 2015 9:45:31 AM

Votes:

If restarting the target machines does help, it indicates that they lose their SNMP connectivity, and thus break the monitoring on target side. Please then consult with the vendor(s) of the devices.

Created on Apr 17, 2015 12:25:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.