What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory User only member of one Group ?

Votes:

Hello Paessler Team,

we are using PRTG for 2 years now and are very pleased with the Product.

We want to expand the PRTG Tool now and it is nessesary to generate more Users. I found the AD Connector ans used it successfully to adopt the users from AD. Now i created a few Groups in AD and filled it with users. And here is my Problem.

is it possible that one user only can be an member of one Group ?

All AD users are member of one Group which allows Administration of PRTG. The new generated groups are only for E-Mail notification. Goal should be that not every user of the Admin Group recieve all notifications. We would have special groups e.g. Network / Server / etc.

I hope i could enunciate me and the Problem.

Thank vou very much in advance

Björn Bechtold.

active-directory notifications user-groups

Created on Feb 26, 2014 7:57:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. It's actually possible to have PRTG -Users, that were created with the AD-Integration, be in more than one PRTG-Usergroup.
The key is, to have the according AD-User also be member of two AD-Usergroups, and then link both AD-Usergroups into two PRTG-Usergrups. For example, say AD-User1 is member of the AD-Usergroup "Admins" and AD-Usergroup "Serveradmins", if you create the same usergroups now in PRTG "Admins" and "Serveradmins", and link them accordingly to the AD-Usergroups, the user will then be member of both, when he logs in.

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2014 10:47:25 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for your reply. I realized it like you described. But in the Field "Members" the Members of the AD group dont appear.

Meanwhile the Users logged in to the Webinterface and are now visible in GUI as Member of the Group.

It seams so that the Users are not visible in the GUI until the User logged on to the Webinterface.

Thank you for your reply

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2014 11:49:40 AM

Votes:

Yes, AD-based users need to login a first time to PRTG to be created as a PRTG user.

Created on Feb 28, 2014 12:34:59 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.