What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disable Red Status on Non Critical Sensors

Votes:

I have a Cisco ASA that I monitor with a number of Sensors. Specifically ping, several SNMP bandwith monitors on the physical interfaces as well as a number of SNMP VPN sensors primarily to montior bandwidth utilization of VPN tunnels to various sites. Several of these sites are idle for long periods of tome so the tunnels will drop due to idle conditions. Once that occurs PRTG considers the sensors in Error and shows them as red. Can this behavior be modified so they do not show in red and simply can be used to collect historical bandwidth usage and be used to show if the tunnels are UP/Down only?

cisco prtg vpn-snmp

Created on Feb 27, 2014 12:26:21 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

You can Auto-Acknowledge the sensors in the red state with a message that says they can be ignored but the red status cannot be turned off. When we designed PRTG one of the philosophies was to make sure it was reporting the correct status all the time which is the reason for why this isn't possible. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Created on Feb 27, 2014 10:16:09 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I found that like you with most Cisco devices I have several various SNMP sensors, and if the device goes down I don't need all 10 flashing alarm as false positives in the alarm list which is what we use to gauge the true amount of devices currently unreachable.

What I do is create a ping sensor for each device and set it as the master (under sensor settings). Doing so makes all other sibling sensors pause automatically if the device goes down or offline.

Created on Mar 5, 2014 3:37:38 PM

Votes:

The issue is these are sensors that go down because of inactivity on a given VPN tunnel. The host device (the firewall) remains active and is functioning completely normally. I mainly want to run the sensor to collect bandwidth utilization.

Just as an example...

Cisco ASA Ping Sensor - Up and Green Physical Interface Sensor(s) - Up & Green VPN Tunnel Sensor #1 - Up and Green - Collecting bandwidth usage VPN Tunnel Sensor #2 - Down because of inactivity - RED

I would prefer to have the ability to not alert and show a Red sensor status on VPN Tunnel Sensor #2 being down since it is normal behavior for an inactive tunnel to disconnect, but I do want to collect the bandwidth usage on the sensor on a ongoing basis. That way when it does become active and the tunnel comes back up I will have a historical log data of the bandwidth usage for each of my VPN tunnels.

I'm aware I can auto acknowledge the error state of a given sensor, but the device is not truly in error. We have operators in the data center that are constantly having to take time to look at the sensors that show Red only to see they have been auto acknowledged and are simple down because of idle timeouts that they are behaving normally.

Created on Mar 5, 2014 4:35:43 PM

Votes:

I sent this over to our developer lead and a request to have this sensor ignore disconnected status has been added to this list. I cannot say when this feature will be added to the software or even say for certain that it will but it is on our radar. Thanks for the input!

Created on Mar 6, 2014 12:27:34 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Greg

Do you know if this was ever implemented? (The ability to set log/information only to avoid red on map)

Thanks

Created on May 3, 2019 10:19:53 AM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

We haven't added such an option to PRTG. There are also no plans to put a feature like this on our roadmap at the moment.

Best regards.

Created on May 3, 2019 10:24:43 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.