What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add all sensors through api for one device with one snmp OID

Votes:

Hi, i have a fortigate firewall which also supplies VPN connections. I want to automatically add new IPSEC connections to PRTG using the PRTG API and a custom made OIDlib. I tried to use the autodiscover function with the template function, but because the template only contains the sensors found/detected at the moment of saving the template this method is not finding any new ipsec vpn connections.

What is the best way to add newly added vpn connections to PRTG using the api (or at least automatically)?

With regards,

Jiri.

api ipse oid oidlib prtg snmp

Created on Feb 27, 2014 11:29:05 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid this indeed is a bit tricky. If you know the OID of the new VPN, maybe get it within a script with a snmpwalk, then you could clone an existing sensor, and change the OID, which the clone monitors into the OID for the new VPN connection. For the details on the API Calls to clone and then change properties of the new clone, please see the API Documentation under "Setup"->"PRTG API"->"Object Manipulation".

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2014 10:03:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How would one change the OID on a sensor, cloned or otherwise? I am very interested in being able to do this but I cannot find anywhere to even see the OID a given sensor is polling, much less change it.

Created on Mar 31, 2014 4:09:46 PM

Votes:

Kyle, you could try using the setobjectproperty-API-Call:

Change properties of objects:
/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=id_of_object&name=property_name&value=new_value 

For more details, please see your own PRTG under Setup->PRTG API->Object Manipulation.

Created on Mar 31, 2014 5:52:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.