What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring application resources

Votes:

On our (shared) terminal servers we want to monitor the impact on the use of resources by certain services and applications (*.exe). This is important for us since this makes it easier to illustate to our customers if their applications use more than 'fair use'.

This can already be done in PRTG, but as application and their services are not always active we get a lot of unwanted alarms. We would like to have the possibilty to de-activate the warning / alarm trigger. These sensors would be 'sleeping' if the application/service is not in use.

application impact monitoring resources

Created on Feb 28, 2014 10:09:04 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. It's not possible to remove the alarms-state on a process sensor, if a process is not running. You could use the solution of the following article though, to automatically acknowledge these alarms: How to auto-acknowledge a down sensor in PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2014 4:38:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Not exactly what I need. Customers with access to parts of our PRTG installation will interpret the reddish icons as negative.

Searching the KB I noticed more users wanting kinda the same thing. Can I place this option as a feature request ? Please ....?? :-)

Created on Feb 28, 2014 8:21:53 PM

Votes:

I can put this on the wishlist, but please be aware that we ourselves really do not want to change this fundamental principle. So it's very likely to stay this way.

Created on Mar 3, 2014 12:05:55 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I understand the principle (don't need to change that) but a new state (for instance 'Logging') could be a solution. Purple would be nice in the current color scheme and sits next to red (Alarm) and pink (Acknowledged).

Created on Mar 3, 2014 12:12:26 PM

Votes:

Sorry, but new sensor states are something that we really have to avoid. The current matrix of sensor states and their transitions are a coding-'nightmare' already, and not easy to understand sometimes for a user as well.

Created on Mar 3, 2014 12:23:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.