What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor "Node not found in xml result"

Votes:

How can I obtain a nested value from the XML result of a "HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor", an example of the XML result I receive is:

<response status="success">
  <result>
    <IPSec>
      <entry>
        <pkt-decap>591815314</pkt-decap>
        <state>active</state>
        <anti-replay>True</anti-replay>
      </entry>
    </IPSec>
  </result>
</response>

What should I enter in the "XML Node (and optional property)" field in the sensor's settings if I want to obtain the value of 'state'?

I have tried the following but all result in the error message "Node not found in xml result"

result/IPSec/entry/state
entry/state

Thanks,
James.

error prtg xml-rest-value

Created on Mar 3, 2014 1:02:30 PM

Last change on Mar 3, 2014 1:59:43 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
have you tried using the following:

./response/result/IPSec/entry/state

Does that work?

Created on Mar 3, 2014 2:00:19 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately not, just tried it and got an error saying "Node ./response/result/IPSec/entry/state not found in xml result."

Created on Mar 4, 2014 9:57:28 AM

Votes:

Hi,
with the given XML and the Node Path I had no issues obtaining the value in the node.
Any chance the target which is producing the XML is available public?
If so, please send the URL to [email protected] and refer to this article.

Created on Mar 4, 2014 10:06:49 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Upon further inspection it turns out that URL I was using was not formatted properly, I have corrected it and it's now working fine.

Thanks for your help. James.

Created on Mar 4, 2014 10:27:44 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.