What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Distributing load between PRTG probes

Votes:

Hello,

We have five hardware PRTG servers(one master, 4 probes and 4000 sensors overall) and I'm shuffling servers with theirs sensors around in order to find the best performance for our PRTG setup.

1. What parameter to monitor and compare on the probes(if CPU and MEM look the same)? I'm comparing the quantity of established TCP sessions. What is YOUR general recommendations? When the load is heavy, WMI sensors go crazy, as you know.. 2. I have a probe with 400 sensors(WMI, pings, HTTP) and another one with 1000 sensors(pretty the same set). And still, the second one has twice less connections established than the first one... Intervals are the same. Why that can be? Yes, I've rebooted the servers already :)

Thanks a lot. Mike

load sensors wmi

Created on Mar 3, 2014 5:58:44 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

unfortunately for WMI there can't be a general rule of thumb, as it heavily depends how fast the targets respond (and also how fast they can verify monitoring requests with their Domain Controllers). This can mean a Probe with only a handful of targets, that respond very slow, could cause much more troubles, than a Probe with hundreds of fast responding targets.
Technically this is an issue on all protocols, but it's very dominant on WMI based sensors.

best regards.

Created on Mar 5, 2014 11:05:20 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.