What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG ignore ports that are administratively down?

Votes:

We monitor hundreds of switch ports and I want to set the sensor in PRTG to "Show Alarm when Disconnected" for all the switch ports. The problem is PRTG is showing alarms on ports that are Administratively down in the switch. Other monitoring software I've used would ignore these ports and only alert if the ports were enabled. Is there a way to do this with PRTG? Then we wouldn't have to go and modify the sensor every time we enable or disable a port. Thanks in advance

administratively-down disconnected snmp-traffic switch-port

Created on Mar 4, 2014 4:35:24 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. As we've had a few requests on this, an improvement will be implemented shortly into the canary branch. It will then be possible to have the sensor ignore "deactivated" interfaces. I can'T say exactly when this will reach the stable branch, current plans aim for version 14.x.11, so with the third version number being an 11 it should be available in the stable channel.

best regards,

Created on Mar 6, 2014 12:14:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, any news about this request? When I do an auto discovery, PRTG imports also the "administratively down ports". Regards Marco

Created on Jul 27, 2018 11:48:35 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid while it's not possible to only create sensors with a certain Oper-state, you can at least define which states mean an alert, with a custom device template as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<devicetemplate id="custom" name="Custom SNMP Traffic" priority="1">
	<check id="ping" meta="ping"/>
	<create id="pingsensor" kind="ping" requires="ping" displayname="PING">
		<createdata>
			<priority>5</priority>
			<timeout>2</timeout>
			<interval>30</interval>
		</createdata>
	</create>
	<check id="snmp" meta="snmp" requires="ping"/>
	<create id="snmptraffic" kind="snmptraffic" requires="snmp" meta="portscan">
		<createdata>
			<trafficmode/>
			<monitorstate>2</monitorstate>
		</createdata>
	</create>
</devicetemplate>

SNMP Traffic Sensors created with this template will only alert when Show alarm when disconnected, but ignore when deactivated happens.
Save the above into a file for example called *Custom SNMP Traffic* and save it into the
\devicetemplates\
subfolder of your PRTG Program Files folder. You can then use it with the Auto-Discovery.

Created on Jul 30, 2018 12:18:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 6, 2018 11:50:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.