What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PTRG to WatchDog 15

Votes:

We are trying to attach Our IT Watchdog temperature sensors.

They can communicate with Snmp, over the network. It ha a V1 Trap and V2C Notify feature. It appears as if they are able to send the data out, but we can't find a way for PTRG to accept the data.

Here is the product. http://www.itwatchdogs.com/temperature-humidity-climate-monitor-watchdog-15poe-p72.html Here is the manual for the sensors. http://www.itwatchdogs.com/DataSheets/WatchDog-15_User_Manual_(rev_A1.02).pdf

humidity script snmp temperature watchdog

Created on Mar 6, 2014 7:59:27 PM

Last change on May 10, 2019 11:26:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

13 Replies

Votes:

Dear bishop,

I have some questions. Which version of PRTG are you using? The newest version offers a good SNMP trap sensor: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_trap_receiver_sensor.htm

Created on Mar 7, 2014 2:04:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 18, 2017 12:03:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are usingPRTG Network Monitor 14.1.8.1371

Created on Mar 7, 2014 6:14:22 PM

Votes:

In this case, please use the SNMP trap sensor as linked in the previous reply (https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_trap_receiver_sensor.htm)

According to the documentation of your Watchdog device, a tool delivered with that device is able to send test traps.

If the test fails, please take screenshots and contact us.

Created on Mar 10, 2014 3:46:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Support,

We are also considering using Watchdog 15 in our environment and we run version 14.1.8.2113.

Has there been additional information on the issue jbishop was experiencing with regards to getting their watchdog 15 configured with PRTG for snmp traps?

Thanks for the update.

Nate

Created on Jun 4, 2014 2:39:49 AM

Votes:

Dear Nate

"14.1.8.2113" is no existing PRTG version. Can you double-check which PRTG you are using?

In addition, please allow me to ask you to clarify your issue. What exactly do you want to know?

Created on Jun 4, 2014 4:39:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne, sorry I had the wrong version. We have 14.2.10.2113 installed.

We want to know if you know if the prior poster on this thread (jbishop) was able to successfully use watchdog 15 with PRTG.

We were hoping to know that as part of our consideration to purchase watchdog 15 vs others like Poseidon and Jacarta.

Thanks

Nate

Created on Jun 4, 2014 6:34:34 PM

Votes:

Is there an update for this? I cannot get the PRTG to pull data from my Watchdog 15P or from my Black Box ServSensorJR. The error is -2003. I have used the MIB importer to get the right OID from the watchdog but it won't pull data.

If I am supposed to use the trap receiver, how can I set it up to display just the temp and humidity results that I want. Currently I only see the traps per hour and drops etc which is of zero use.

PRTG Network Monitor 15.1.13.1382+

Thanks Simon

Created on Mar 10, 2015 12:02:39 PM

Votes:

Dear Skay

The exported oidlib files are XML structures. It contains the OID in plaintext. Please contact the manufacturer of the device about the OID you need to monitor temperature and humidity and check if these OIDs are part of the oidlib file.

If you cannot find those OIDs, please either ask the manufacturer to get the complete MIB library, or use the PRTG SNMP Custom Sensor to manually add the OID to your monitoring.

Created on Mar 10, 2015 1:39:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the OIDs. I have several custom sensors set up that work just fine. I have a hard time imagining that both the Black box unit and the Watchdog units are at fault. I have the complete MIB files and have even imported them into PRTG to try and get this to work with no success. I have seen replies about previous versions of the watchdog product working with PRTG but nobody seems to be able to get this device to work.

I have the right OID. It's just not pulling into PRTG. What next?

Created on Mar 12, 2015 12:54:37 PM

Votes:

Dear Skay

Please use the SNMP Tester to read an OID outside of PRTG. Are you getting a result, or an error message (which one?)

Created on Mar 12, 2015 1:28:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same error -2003.

Created on Mar 12, 2015 1:51:44 PM

Votes:

Dear Simon

Error -2003 means SNMP Timeout. Please increase the timeout value and check if you can query the device.

Created on Mar 12, 2015 4:21:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I finally found the resolution. The Black Box device will only use SNMP1 so I have to convert the custom sensor to use snmp1 and use the OID I found in the paessler snmp tester. For the Watchdog it can use snmpv2 but you have to run the tester in v2 to get the right OID there also. Both devices are now reporting as they should.

Created on Apr 21, 2015 1:30:53 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.