What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Core server log vliewer

Votes:

When I view the core server log from the PRTG server administration tool, it seems to be truncated at 01/10/2013. If I look at the text file, it does contain entries up to today's date. The text file is about 28 MB. My questions are:

1. Why can I not see past 01/10/2013 with the admin tool viewer?
  2. Can I archive the file and start a new one? How?
  3. Do I need to re-start the server to re-initialise the log file?

The log file seems to have been collectiong entries since we first installed PRTG in 2010.

Best regards Kevin DORRELL

core-server logging system

Created on Mar 12, 2014 8:20:06 AM

Last change on Mar 13, 2014 9:55:14 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post.

1. Most likely because this Core Log does not go further back, than 1/10/2013
  2. Just move it from the "Logs (System)"-Folder in PRTGs Data Folder to a backup location. PRTG will then automatically create a new log file.
  3. No that is not necessary.

Please be aware that the System Logfiles of PRTG are limited to 65MB of size, and will then overwrite themselves in a cycle manner.

best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2014 9:58:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten, and thank you for the reply.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. The file reader is truncated not at the start, but at the end of the file. The file actually actually contains entries from 29/06/2010 (when we first installed PRTG) to 13/03/2014 (today's date). However, the view can only see the entries from 29/06/2010 to 01/10/2013.

I have moved the file into an archive directory, but the system has not created the new one yet, I suppose because tere have been no events to be logged. If I try to view it with the admin tool, I get a popup saying "Core server logfile E:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs(System)\PRTG Core Server Log (1).log not found".

Best regards Kevin Dorrell

Created on Mar 13, 2014 10:29:13 AM

Votes:

The log-viewer of the Admin-Tool may actually a bit buggy, we always use tools like Notepad++ / Sublime to view & search in PRTGs System Logfiles. Please bear in mind, that there will be 2 Core Logfiles which are used in the cycled manner, maybe the Admin-Tool only reads the (1) log.

Created on Mar 13, 2014 10:44:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

I think I found the problem. I opened the log file with Notepad, and I saw some strange characters on 01/102013. Maybe the server crashed or something. Anyway, I removed the strange charatcers and now the log viewer can read the whole file.

Thank you for you help in this matter.

Best regards Kevin

Created on Mar 13, 2014 11:41:46 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.