What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Promoting probe to core

Votes:

So this is somewhat of a 2 part question. We have a lot of remote probes pointing to one core server, and we'd like to try to load balance a little bit by creating a second core for half the probes to point to. We'd like to use one of the existing probe servers as the new core server (has only a handful of sensors on that probe)

First question: What would be the best way about "promoting" the probe into a new core? Is there a way to, once we install the core software, turn the remote probe into the local probe for the core? Keeping the handful of sensors we have on it?

Second question: I believe it's easy but just want to make sure: we can just point the other probes to the core, correct? Just switching the server IP and the access key and we're done?

Thanks very much in advance!

-Steve

convert core poiint probe promote

Created on Mar 12, 2014 1:46:27 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. It's not possible to 'promote' a Probe to be Core Server. Please bear in mind, that a Probe does not hold any configuration information (about sensors, etc..).
What you could do is follow the article to migrate PRTG, but keep the old PRTG Server. So essentially you are cloning your PRTG Server. You could then connect a selected number of Remote Probes to the new server, by indeed, re-entering the IP address of the Core Server (in the "PRTG Probe Admin"-Tool of the Remote Probes).

best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2014 10:18:51 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, yea I saw that document and I figured that was what we'd have to do. Thank you for the details! 2 follow up questions if I may...

1) How will we see the data once it's migrated over to the new core? Will it just show up in the web interface as probes that are disconnected until we point the probes over? Just want to think about how we'll go about deleting... 2) As far as the copying of the data is concerned, we have a LOT of data, and PRTG is our main product for monitoring our clients. Since we are 24/7, having the monitoring down for the amount of time it would take to transfer the data would be a little troublesome. Can I ask if it's important for the existing core to be paused during the copying/transferring of the data?

Thank you very much again, -Steve

Created on Mar 13, 2014 2:11:20 PM

Votes:

1) Yes exactly. 2) You could copy everything from the current (old) PRTG while it's running except the following files/folders, these need to be copied

• "PRTG Configuration.dat"
  • "PRTG Graph Cache.dat"
  • Todays (referring to the day of the migration) subfolder in the "Monitoring Database"
  • To ensure data integrity, you may also want to consider moving the following subfolders (of PRTGs data folder) only when the services are stopped: Syslog Database, Ticket Database, ToDo Database, Toplist Database, Trap Database

Created on Mar 13, 2014 4:23:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great. This is perfect, thank you so much. If I could, I have one final question (promise):

Because we are just creating a new server (not decommissioning the old server), do we still need to export the existing core’s registry files and import them to the new server? All we want is the data, it seems to me that the registry import is unnecessary, and potentially counterproductive to our efforts? Does that have to do with transferring the core access key? We’d like the new server to be independent, but have the data from the old..

Thanks VERY much again,

-Steve

Created on Mar 13, 2014 4:51:24 PM

Votes:

If you only want / need the data you can skip the registry stuff, yes.

Created on Mar 13, 2014 4:54:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Awesome. Thank you!

I'll post back with our results.

-Steve

Created on Mar 13, 2014 4:55:24 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.