What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Abnormal value in PRTG Report and Sensor

Votes:

1. We have generated a report of server network traffic. But we found an abnormal huge value for a network sensor of a server. Since our network surely cannot support that bandwidth. It showed 11,730,849 kbit/s and our network is only support max. 1Gbit/s.

2. In CPU Load sensor, we found that the max. - min. range is 104% - 0% (I mean the figure like showing speed of engine with green circle bar). It is only happened when I set the upper limit.

Any setting should I check or suggestion? Thanks.

report sensor value

Created on Mar 13, 2014 1:37:48 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Please try using the Spike Filter in the Channel Settings of the sensor(s) to remove such invalid peaks.

best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2014 5:17:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Do you know what is the causes for abnormal values?

Thanks.

Created on Apr 2, 2014 4:32:58 AM

Votes:

Those spikes are usually caused by the firmware delivering faulty values. With SNMP traffic sensors this is called an overflow.

The spike filters are the best way to prevent those values from messing with your stats. You can also try changing the SNMP compatability options inside the device settings so you'll get better results.

About those WMI CPU load values, please check your channel configuration. The Data section should be set to "Display actual values in %".

If "Display in percent of maximum" is selected, you can get values over 100%.

Created on Apr 3, 2014 1:56:47 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just check the the sensor is WMI sensor. Does the problem happened in WMI sensor same as SNMP sensor?

Since it has over 10K sensors now, any suggestion to set the spikes filter one time for all sensors? (It is spending time to setup one by one)

Thanks.

Created on Apr 4, 2014 4:25:44 AM

Votes:

Those peaks can happen to other sensors aswell, yes. If a sensor gets a strange value (-0.41228 for example), the calculation of the graph gets messed up.

You can bulk apply the spike filter to multiple sensors at once. To do so, please have a look at https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/multi_edit_lists.htm - especially the "Edit Settings - Channel Settings" section.

It will then modify all the selected sensors and apply the spike filter. Please note that this might take a while. If the loading screen doesn't disappear, reload the page after a few minutes.

Please be advised that not all channel types support spike filtering.

Created on Apr 4, 2014 9:48:42 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks.

Created on Apr 9, 2014 2:44:03 AM

Votes:

We find that some network card value abnormal huge (over 10Gb/s) in 6 minutes. It seems not caused by sparks only. It is found 4 to 5 servers have the same problem when generating report. Any idea for this situation? Thanks.

Created on Apr 30, 2014 9:24:36 AM

Votes:

Sorry for the delay. Please have a look at this page, especially Solutions to This Problem > Option 1: Set device to ignore overflow values:

http://www0.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/823-why-do-i-see-huge-peaks-or-spikes-in-graphs-for-snmp-sensors

Please let me know if that solves your issue :)

Created on May 7, 2014 11:27:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.