What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to Show alarm when disconnected with auto-discovery ?

Votes:

Hello,

I have many network switches and i run auto-discover on some of them to add active port that were connected. How can i add the option "Show alarm when disconnected" on all newlly discoverd network interfaces ?

Thank you, Yaron

alarm auto-discovery interface

Created on Mar 13, 2014 1:28:02 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Yaron,

What you could do is set up a device template with an snmp traffic sensor and the other sensors that you want to set up for these devices. After creating the template, you could edit the XML to force the traffic sensors to have this setting by editing the following tag:

<monitorstate>
        </monitorstate>

Change this to a 1 and the default setting for the Connection Handling Status will be changed to Show alarm when disconnected.

Created on Mar 14, 2014 1:53:05 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Greg, Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to apply this setting as a default to the automatic discovery of PRTG or as a default setting for the snmp traffic sensor ?

Thank you, Yaron

Created on Mar 16, 2014 12:35:52 PM

Votes:

This cannot be made as the default setting for this sensor type other than by using the device template with Auto-Discovery.

Created on Mar 17, 2014 9:16:16 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you tell me the location of the XML file?

Thank you, Yaron

Created on Mar 17, 2014 12:53:05 PM

Votes:

On a normal 64 bit installation it should be under C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates. If you installed PRTG somewhere else, then you will have to look under the program files directory for the devicetemplates folder. You can check this article as well for where PRTG stores data.

Created on Mar 17, 2014 1:01:58 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thank you

Created on Mar 17, 2014 5:55:45 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.