What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor and return traceroute results with each hop detailed

Votes:

I am trying to create a monitor to check the route through to an external service, the service drops once in a while and I would like to determine at which point it fails. Can someone details how to create a custom TraceRT sensor and how to get the results to list all hops and whether they are up or down?

traceroute traceroute-hop-count tracert

Created on Mar 18, 2014 9:49:52 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Paul,

A Trace Route works by sending a number of Pings to the destination device. The first Ping starts with a TTL set to 1 and this gets incremented with every next Ping. This way the hops in the route will respond one by one.

The process of sending Pings will have to be stopped when the destination device responds or a maximum hop count is reached.

Your sensor could go into an error state when the destination device does not respond and show the last hop that did respond.

Keep in mind that not every hop might respond to ICMP (Ping) requests.

Created on Mar 18, 2014 10:55:35 AM

Votes:

This sounds great, but how do I configure it? I would like to see an output similar to this:

Hop 1 - x.x.x.x - OK
Hop 2 - x.x.x.x - OK
Hop 3 - x.x.x.x - OK
Hop 4 - x.x.x.x - FAILED
Destination - x.x.x.x - FAILED

So that I can clearly see Hop 4 is at fault etc...

Thanks

Paul

Created on Mar 18, 2014 2:20:51 PM

Last change on Mar 19, 2014 1:01:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.