What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Performance Counter Error 0xB0000004 without domain)

Votes:

Starting a sensor with a custom perfomance counter I get the error 0xB0000004.

It found this article: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/47263-my-windows-sensors-do-not-work-when-using-direct-performance-counter-access-what-can-i-do

I checked the all the advices under "Reasons for Unsuccessful Access to Performance Counters". There´s one point which differs from my case: "The machine running the PRTG probe and the target machine must be part of the same Windows domain."

How can I use custom performance counter without a windows domain?

Kind regards, Torsten

performancecounter performancecountercustom prtg wmi

Created on Mar 18, 2014 1:02:37 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You may create a local account on a target system and use its credentials on a remote probe. Leave field "domain" empty on a device where you configure your sensor on a probe. If this will fail you may additionally create same local account with same credentials on a probe.

Created on May 15, 2016 10:36:35 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very sorry, but it's not possible to use Performance Counters on machines that are not in the same domain. It might be possible then to do this locally, if a Remote Probe runs on the target, but that would be the exception of the rule.

best regards.

Created on Mar 19, 2014 1:23:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there any plans to change "not possible to use Performance Counters on machines that are not in the same domain."

We monitor servers in different Domains and need to monitor performance counters.

We cannot install probes in a domain or on the servers we monitor.

Created on Feb 26, 2015 12:19:43 PM

Votes:

The limitation is on Windows level here I'm afraid. So we cannot change it. The only alternative is using Probes in the target domain, or another monitoring protocol (WMI or SNMP).

Created on Feb 26, 2015 12:31:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You may create a local account on a target system and use its credentials on a remote probe. Leave field "domain" empty on a device where you configure your sensor on a probe. If this will fail you may additionally create same local account with same credentials on a probe.

Created on May 15, 2016 10:36:35 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.