What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Editing "Automatic Device Identification" sensors

Votes:

We use PRTG to track a variety of diverse and frequently changing environments. The auto-discovery feature seems ideal, but we have some struggles with maintening it. Not the least of which being that the templates can note be easily edited.

It occurred to us that if we could simply manage what "Automatic Device Identification (standard)" looked for, we could exclude the ones in that which we'd always delete anyway and solve a lot of our problems with not being able to run that on a regular rotation.

Is it possible to remove sensors from the "Automatic Device Identification"? Otherwise, this would do a lot of good for us.

auto-discovery autodiscovery prtg template

Created on Mar 20, 2014 5:04:52 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your Kb-Post. The key here, will be using custom Device Templates. Creating and using your own device templates will essentially mean to alter the "standard mode" of the Auto-Discovery.
The standard mode of the Auto-Discovery also bases on Device Templates of course, they are also stored in the same folder as .odt-files, but changing them is tricky, as they will be overwritten with the next PRTG update then.

best regards.

Created on Mar 21, 2014 2:57:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Torsten,

I figured they'd be overwritten. I'm comfortable maintaining that in upgrades. I'd plan to just comment out the unwanted areas or something like that. This should make running a diff to find changes, make any needed changes, drop it back in place.

Maintaining the templates is rather cumbersome at this point either way I look at it because I can't edit them within the GUI (at least last I checked). I might as well hand edit the default and make it easier on the GUI end (less clicks to find the right one).

Created on Mar 21, 2014 3:02:06 PM

Votes:

You are right, editing device templates is rather inconvenient in the moment. I do count your vote on an improvement for that.

Created on Mar 21, 2014 3:08:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That would be incredibly useful, thank you! :-)

Created on Mar 21, 2014 3:11:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.