What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Replaced disk not showing up

Votes:

Does PRTG pickup new disk when the faulty disk is replaced? I've PRTG monitoring setup to check for basic server health but I've noticed it alerts when there is a failed disk but does not update after the faulty disk was replaced with a new one.

Is there anything i need to turn on for this to happen?

dell hdd raid

Created on Mar 20, 2014 11:38:03 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Depending on the type of sensor you are using, usually with SNMP sensors, the serial number or the ID of the drive in SNMP will change when a disk is replaced and the only way to get this disk back into the sensor is to recreate it.

Created on Mar 21, 2014 2:07:59 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Even though this is an old entry, somebody may face this issue like me today. Here is the solution: In order to reactivate the sensor, you need to modify the volume id on the Windows system. Go for "volumeid.exe", a tool by Sysinternals (Mark Russinovich). With that tool you can assign the old volume-id from your PRTG Sensor. Finally, reboot the Windows machine and voila: Your sensor is back at work.

Created on Oct 28, 2017 8:48:30 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.